- On May 5, 2011
- kiddos, parents, Tulsa
Hey Kids, Feeling Bored? Green up Your Routine…
Okay, you’re sitting around in your room feeling bored… not really doing much of anything. Even your pet rock, Argus, just isn’t as fun as he once was.
You want to do something new and exciting to change up your dull routine…but what?
Hey, I got an idea…Why not challenge yourself a little by doing something cool for the environment?
Here are some awesome ideas you can do to help impact our earth (and have fun at the same time).
• Learn to recycle. This is a great activity for the whole family to do together. Ask your mom and dad if you can help sort things you throw away and pick out valuable recyclables such as plastic, metal, and cardboard. Recycling is great…and what I love to do. Not only is it fun, but it can make a real difference for the environment.
• Turn off the water when you’re brushing your teeth or taking a shower. Most kids run water while sudzing themselves in the shower or brushing their pearly whites, but it’s really a waste of resources. Turn off the water when it’s not needed and you’ll save water and money.
• Using less disposables to reduce waste. Think of all the paper cups and plastic wrappers and utensils we use on a daily basis. We can save more trees and keep them out of the landfill, by using fewer disposables. It may take a little more work to wash and reuse items, but it really does help.
• Plant a tree. Sounds simple enough, right? But, if you think about it… you’re actually doing something pretty important by planting. Trees are beautiful to look at, plus, they help clean out pollutants in our air. Ask your mom or dad if there’s a good spot in your yard or a nearby park for a tree.
• Walk more. The less we use a car to get somewhere, the less smog and carbon emissions we’re putting in the air. Try walking or riding a bike when you want to go somewhere close. It will save the fuel costs, plus it’s great exercise.
You can probably come up with other ideas as well. Just use your imagination.
The more we get in the habit of doing practical things for the environment, the more it will get easier to do and become part of our lifestyle.
Remember, we all can do something to help the earth…
Green up your routine today and see what a difference you can make.