- On October 4, 2011
- Recycle, Tulsa Recycle and Transfer
Ever wonder how long it takes for a piece of garbage to decompose?
Well, it doesn’t just turn to liquid or vanish into thin air. It actually takes years and even centuries for some items to break down in the ground.
Here’s a list of some common items we throw away daily and how long they may last.
- cigarette butt – 1 to 5 years
- banana – 3 to 4 weeks
- plastic bag – 1 month
- aluminum can (soda pop can) – 200 to 500 years
- leather belt –50 years
- tin can (soup or vegetable can) – 80 to 100 years
- disposable diaper – 500 years
- plastic jug – 1 million years
- Styrofoam –could last forever
- glass bottle – could last forever
Pretty surprising, huh? Did you know that trash could last that long?
Another great reason to reuse and recycle.